Join us for our tastings this week, Friday from 5-7:30pmand Saturday from 1-5pm. Below we have three wines on a special deal this week as well as the wine dinner menu for Café Renaissance. This week we will be featuring:
- 2015 Alkoomi Rosé of Syrah/Grenache- Frankland River, Australia
- 2014 Schumann-Nägler Riesling Qualitätswein-Rheingau, Germany. A wonderfully rich, semi-dry, riesling from a 35hectare family vineyard that has been producing wines for 575 years!
- 2012 Windy Oaks Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir-Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
- 2013 Il Conte Villa Prandone Marinus Rosso Piceno-Marche, Italy. A great, full-bodied Italian red, for those who like Sirpasso and the Campiano Primitivo. 70% Montepulciano, 30% Sangiovese.
- 2007 Paniza Gran Reserva Red- Cariñena, Spain. A structured tempranillo/cabernet /grenach blend aged in for almost 3 years before release.
- 2013 Abaida de Acón Roble, Tinta Fina- Ribera del Duero, Spain
PINOT DEAL: 2012 Windy Oaks Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains, CA Windy Oaks is a small winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA that is run by the Schultze Family. Father and Son, Jim and Spencer tend to the viticulture and winemaking while, Judy Schultze runs the marketing and tasting room with her other son, James. They have 26 acres of pinot noir and 1 acre of chardonnay. The winery employs sustainable practices, using many organic and biodynamic methods. The wines are unfined and unfiltered and aged in French Oak. 85% of what they make goes directly to their mailing list, so it is hard to get your hands on!
Very floral initially, becoming more fruity over time. Intoxicating aromas of spice-infused cherries, roses, herbs, and subtle oak. Delicious essence of fresh cherries with an amalgam of accents including spice, cola, graham and anise. Modest in weight and very polished, with balanced tannins and a lengthy finish filled with cherry goodness. Score: 92. PinotFile
Santa Cruz Mountains AVA has less than 1500 acres under vine, and a little over 50 wineries. It is south of San Francisco Bay and along the coast. The Pacific facing slopes can be quite cool and offer a rugged terroir that is great for pinot noir.
2013 Abadía de Acón Roble, Tinta Fina- Ribera del Duero, Spain We have featured Abadía de Acón’s crianza and reserve wines before, with much liking from our customers; this is the first time we have shown their ‘Roble.’ The perfect fruit and wood blend, which enhances its aromatic intensity. Composed exclusively with Tempranillo from vines 15 years old, and aged for five months in new oak casks. Intense and very well-balanced. Attractive notes of ripe red and black berries accompanied by chocolate, liquorice and cocoa. Spicy, toasty background on the palate with hints of toffee and coffee.
2007 Paniza Gran Reserva-Cariñena, Spain A silver medal winner at the International wine challenge, this red blend of tempranillo, grenache, and cabernet has a pure Burgundy-like nose showing careful use of oak. Sweet, plump and well-balanced, with a refined finish. A great buy if you want a full-bodied, yet smooth, well-aged wine.